Thursday, July 24, 2008

Considering suicide? Let Samsung talk you out of it!

Apparently I’m not the only one who would rather not live in this country – so many others are in agreement that life here sucks, that Korea has the highest suicide rate in the world (25 deaths per 100,000). Don’t worry about me - I know that finding happiness is as simple as boarding an international flight – but others here might need a little more convincing. Thank god then for Samsung and Hyundai, two of the biggest companies in Korea, that have begun a new campaign to keep their employees from flinging themselves off the roof on a bad day. They now offer courses encouraging employees to “assess their priorities in life”, which include fun events such as writing your will, posing for a funeral portrait, and being buried in one of the many coffins in the “death experience” room and then covered with dirt.

Don’t believe me? Click on this link and check out the slide show from a recent Financial Times article (Notice the detail – they even give you a flower to hold before they bury you!).


http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/2e29bbb6-574b-11dd-916c-000077b07658.html


Don’t get me wrong, I do not find any humor in suicide, but if someone is going to seal me in a coffin and ask me to pretend I’m dead, I’m certainly going to have a lot of trouble not laughing my ass off.

2 comments:

kara said...

where'd you all go? i miss the posts!

Wexford Sunshine said...

thanks kara

i usually post at work, but lately have been too busy lookin for a new job. wake-me has been too dispirited to write lately, but it seems she's found her muse again.

anyway lookout for my next post, wherein i shall describe a trip to Saudi Arabia with the Kims